Effectiveness of Recombinant Human Growth Hormone (rhGH) in the Treatment of Patients with Cystic Fibrosis
Controlled Trials of rhGH Treatment for CF Summarized in the CER
The CER evaluated studies of rhGH therapy, conducted among patients with CF, that reported data on prespecified clinical or humanistic outcomes and were reports of new discovery.
Randomized controlled trials and prospective cohort studies were pooled when trials evaluated both rhGH-treated and control groups.
This table summarizes the 10 trials of rhGH treatment of patients with CF that met inclusion criteria for quantitative analysis in the Effectiveness Review.
Keywords: trials | cystic fibrosis | CF | rhGH | recombinant human growth hormone | human growth hormone | HGH
- Hardin DS, Ells KJ, Dyson M, et al. Growth hormone improves clinical status in prepubertal children with cystic fibrosis: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Pediatr 2001;139:636-42.
- Hutler M, Schnabel D, Staab D, et al. Effect of growth hormone on exercise tolerance in children with cystic fibrosis. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002;34:567-72.
- Schibler A, von der Heiden R, Birrer P, et al. Prospective randomized treatment with recombinant human growth hormone in cystic fibrosis. Arch Dis Child 2003;88:1078-81.
- Darmaun D, Hayes V, Schaeffer D, et al. Effects of glutamine and recombinant human growth hormone on protein metabolism in prepubertal children with cystic fibrosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:1146-52.
- Hardin DS, Ahn C, Prestidge C, et al. Growth hormone improves bone mineral content in children with cystic fibrosis. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2005;18:589-95.
- Hardin DS, Ferko T, Anh C, et al. A retrospective study of growth hormone use in adolescents with cystic fibrosis. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2005;62:560-6.
- Hardin DS, Rice J, Ahn C, et al. Growth hormone treatment enhances nutrition and growth in children wit cystic fibrosis receiving enteral nutrition. J Pediatr 2005;146:324-8.
- Hardin DS, Adams-Huet B, Brown D, et al. Growth hormone treatment improves growth and clinical status in prepubertal children with cystic fibrosis: results of a multicenter randomized controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006;91:4925-9.
- Schnabel D, Grasemann C, Staab D, et al, for the German Cystic Fibrosis Growth Hormone Study Group. A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the metabolic and respiratory effects of growth hormone in children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatrics 2007;119:e1230-8.
- Stalvey MS, Geller DE, Anbar RD, et al. Growth hormone (GH) increases height, weight and lean body mass (LBM) in prepubertal children with cystic fibrosis (CF): results of a multicenter randomized controlled trial [abstract]. 22nd Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference; 2008 Oct 23-25; Orlando, FL. Meeting Supplement. p. 393.
- Phung OJ, Coleman CI, Baker EL, et al. Effectiveness of Recombinant Human Growth Hormone (rhGH) in the Treatment of Patients With Cystic Fibrosis. AHRQ Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 23 (Prepared by University of Connecticut-Hartford Hospital Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10067-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; October 2010. AHRQ Publication No. 11-EHC003-EF.
Your slide tray is being processed.