Effectiveness of Recombinant Human Growth Hormone (rhGH) in the Treatment of Patients with Cystic Fibrosis
Potential Harms of rhGH Treatment to Patients With CF: Cancer Risk (2)
Studies that investigated cancer risk in rhGH-treated patients with CF measured two investigational biomarkers of cancer risk: IGF-I (insulin-like growth factor I) and IGFBP-3 (insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3). Increases in IGF-I that are 100 ng/mL greater than baseline or control levels may indicate increased risk of cancer. Elevations in IGFBP-3 that are >1,000 ng/mL have been linked to increased cancer risk.
There is no consensus on the predictive value of these growth factors for evaluating cancer risk.
Keywords: IGF-I | insulin-like growth factor | binding protein | IGFBP-3 | biomarker | cancer | risk | cystic fibrosis | CF | rhGH | recombinant human growth hormone | human growth hormone | HGH
- Jenkins PJ, Mukherjee A, Shalet SM. Does growth hormone cause cancer? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2006;64:115-21.
- Massoner P, Colleselli D, Matscheski A, et al. Novel mechanism of IGF binding protein-3 action on prostate cancer cells: inhibition of proliferation, adhesion and motility. Endocr Relat Cancer 2009;16:785-808.
- Ma J, Pollak MN, Giovanucci E, et al. Prospective study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999;91:620-5.
- Schernhammer ES, Holly JM, Hunter DJ, et al. Insulin-like growth factor I, its binding proteins (IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-3) and growth hormone and breast cancer risk in the Nurses Health Study II. Endocr Relat Cancer 2006;13:583-92.
- Renehan AG, Zwahlen M, Minder C, et al. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF-binding protein-3, and cancer risk: systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Lancet 2004;363:1346-53.
- Phung OJ, Coleman CI, Baker EL, et al. Effectiveness of Recombinant Human Growth Hormone (rhGH) in the Treatment of Patients With Cystic Fibrosis. AHRQ Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 23 (Prepared by University of Connecticut-Hartford Hospital Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10067-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; October 2010. AHRQ Publication No. 11-EHC003-EF.
Your slide tray is being processed.