Treatment for Hepatitis C Virus Infection in Adults: Comparative Effectiveness
Background: Currently Available Treatments for Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection in Adults
In the early 2000s, the combination of either pegylated interferon alfa-2a or alpha-2b with ribavirin became the standard antiviral treatment for hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. Currently, two pegylated interferons are available: pegylated interferon alfa-2a and pegylated interferon alfa-2b. The dosing schedule is fixed for pegylated interferon alfa-2a and is based on weight for pegylated interferon alfa-2b. Dual therapy with pegylated interferon (alfa-2a or alfa-2b) plus ribavirin is associated with higher sustained virologic response rates (about 55–60% overall) than pegylated interferon (alfa-2a or alfa-2b) monotherapy. Both combinations are associated with a high rate of adverse effects.
In 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the first direct-acting antiviral agents, boceprevir (trade name Victrelis®) and telaprevir (trade name Incivek®), for treating chronic HCV genotype 1 infection. Both drugs are classified as nonstructural 3/4A protease inhibitors. Each drug can be administered in combination with pegylated interferon (alfa-2a or alfa-2b) plus ribavirin.
Keywords: background | hepatitis C | HCV | treatment | pegylated interferon | ribavirin | boceprevir | telaprevir
- Ghany MG, Strader DB, Thomas DL, et al; Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C: an update. Hepatology 2009;49(4):1335-74. PMID: 19330875.
- McHutchison JG, Lawitz EJ, Shiffman ML, et al; IDEAL Study Team. Peginterferon alfa-2b or alfa-2a with ribavirin for treatment of hepatitis C infection. N Engl J Med 2009;361(6):580-93. PMID: 19625712.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Drugs@FDA: Boceprevir. Available at www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.DrugDetails.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Drugs@FDA: Telaprevir. Available at www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.DrugDetails.
- Chou R, Hartung D, Rahman B, et al. Treatment for Hepatitis C Virus Infection in Adults: A Comparative Effectiveness Review. Evidence Report No. 76 (Prepared by the Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10057-I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; August 2012. AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC113-EF. Available at www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/hepctreatment.cfm.
Your slide tray is being processed.