Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: August 26, 2009
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For adopted and foster children, what is the effectiveness of training adoptive and foster parents in attunement parenting in reducing problem behaviors?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- Children 5-12 years who are currently in foster care or in adoptive homes
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Subgroups divided by severity of behaviors.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Improvements in mental health, family attachment, self-esteem, and socially appropriate behaviors.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- Temporary worsening of behaviors as subjects are initially encouraged to express the pain of their past experiences.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Developmental delays, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, and autism
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Children who have been in foster care and/or have been adopted exhibit disproportionate problem behaviors, including criminal behavior as teens and young adults.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- Current brain research indicates that trauma increases likelihood of chronic state of stress, which I believe may set up the probability of severe behaviors. I have special training and am currently working with families and children in this population group and who have experienced success with an attunement parenting model
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- Variations in recommended care for this population of children; use of traditional parenting models, including use of consequences and rewards, commonly prescribed do not appear to be effective with this population.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- If objective research proves the effectiveness of an attunement model of parenting, care for children and outcomes for children in the population will improve. My practice, and others will have evidence-based methods to inform the standard of care.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- Two year study (follow subjects for two years).
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Other Health Care Professional
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?