Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: December 08, 2009
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Researching the effectiveness and other applicipable factors (side effects etc.) involved with the use of Natto as an alternative to Warfin etc. for blood thining and clot prevention. Include use of the effective enzyme in capsule form.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- Natto may provide a less complicated and hazardous alternative to use of other thinners with potential undesirable side effects for after treatment approaches for afib conversions
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- Patients with various cardio conditions requiring use of blood thinners for preventative purposes.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- If effective the need for test monitering and potential for unintended harmful bleeding may be reduced
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- The use of Natto (if found effective) could eliminate a lot of the complications involved with use of present accepted blood thinners and render patients to be more likely to properly take care of themselves.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- A recent discovery of having an afib condition and the present approach of use of blood thinners even if the condition is resolved by cardiversion as a preventative measure.
Also indications in the literature that it may even dissolve clots under certain conditions which presently used thinners do not.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- A positive answer would make day to day life a whole lot less complicated for patients requiring blood thinners for preventative purposes.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- No definative time frame.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Researching Info
presented by Texas Heart Institute