Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: January 05, 2010
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- genetic markers for obesity, do they exist? If so, testing early in childhood so parents can help them see as disease and treat effectively. Could the genetic marker be "contained" or "deactivated" in some way to prevent the problem/disease? Also the same for ETOH/Drug Abuse and Depression. I think all 3 could benefit from deactivation of the gene or containment somehow and all are inter-related.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- all age ranges and genders. It is a comorbidity and a big one in the U.S.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- COPD, Cardiac, Depression, HDL, O/A, etc.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Improvement in overall patient health and diminished appetite, reduced symptoms of depression/suicidal ideation because obese people often feel they don't fit anywhere, improvement in labs because they would hopefully thin down to where they feel they could exercise, Improved breathing because they don't have the constriction of the chest abd area if they are thinner, reduced pain and reduced osteoarthritis due to reduced force on the joint, etc.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Arthritis and nontraumatic joint disorders
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- Depression and other mental health disorders
- Diabetes mellitus
- Functional limitations and disability
- Substance abuse
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Low income groups
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Because obesity, Drug/ETOH abuse and Depression is growing in America and there are many contributing causes. If a genetic discovery to control them was found it would conserve our resources worldwide many ways.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I am obese and come from a family of drug/etoh abusers. The families/individuals that interact together have complaints of not fitting in (I have felt that way), obese people have c/o discrimination in job hiring and getting jobs far below their capabilities, loneliness/isolation, etc. The ability to control genetic markers early in a childs life/and perhaps in adult life could enhance lifestyle practices that could change the isolation portion.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Health Care Payer/Purchaser (Employer, Federal Government)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Accidentally looked while looking at NIH information.