Maintenance NoticeAn infrastructure upgrade will take place on Friday, December 19 at approximately 2PM Eastern time. Please be aware you may experience temporary issues accessing the site at that point.
Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: February 03, 2010
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For clients diagnosed with HF what is the latest evidence based care proptocol for collaborative management of HF clients transitioning from acute care setting to home health care?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- technology such as electronic medical manangement, latest medicinal, therapeutic, and educational interventions. holistic approach vs. single minded efforts
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- This applies to HF clients, usually a more mature clientelle
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Improved management of HF. Early identification of symptoms, hence, early aggressive intervention to decrease hospitalizations and further complications.
Improve and empower clients to self manage with medical guidance
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- Concerns are related to potential improper management or insufficient oversight
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Low income groups
- Minority groups
- Individuals with special health care needs, including individuals with disabilities or who need chronic care or end-of-life health care
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- As we have seen over the years clients with HF are great consumers of health care. Understanding the drain financially and psychosocially that this has it would benefit everyone to better manage these folks in their home rather than in the ED.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I am currently working on clinial pathways for home health care and am in the midst of collaborating with local cardiologists and the local hospital to truly have a comprehensive program.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- There is always uncertainty in what is the best practice as it is being developed and trialed. Therefore, yes I believe there is some uncertainty for clinicians and policy makers.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- We will carry out what we have set out to do for HF clients; which is to educate and empower them to be active participants in their HF management in collaboration with their doctor. Having this information will provide us with the confidence that what we have resaerched and tried to piece meal makes scientific and clinical care sense.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- The sooner the better. No matter the time frame what is importanat is that it be done and done well.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program