Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: February 11, 2010
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For hospital acquired infections, how can we greatly reduce hospital bacterial contamination and acquired infections by breaking the chain of infection? Can we proactively prevent source viral, biological, radiological and bacterial microorganism contamination versus reactively attempting to disinfect already contaminated surfaces, devices, patients and employees.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- Using Restroom Guardian to proactively prevent source microorganism contamination versus reactively using disinfectants on already contaminated surfaces, devices, patients and employees.
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- All patients and employees.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Reducing hospital acquired infections.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Hospital acquired infections are greatly increasing in numbers,cost billions of dollars and cause many patient deaths.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I feel there is a great need for new products to truly address and reduce hospital acquired infections and protect patients and health care empoyees.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- It may help to introduce a new product and process for reducing hospital acquired infections.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- When available.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program