Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: April 19, 2010
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For treatment of osteoarthritis, consider a rheumatoid arthritis drug; compare the effectiveness to see if it would work better than the ordinary osteoarthritis drug; since osteoarthritis is similar in debilitating the patient.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- middle age groups-men and women
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Once the disease is noticeable and painful
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- The improvement that I would personally see is less side effects of the drug and less pain with more moving ability of the limbs and joints.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- long term use
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Arthritis and nontraumatic joint disorders
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- I myself suffer from osteoarthritis and am afraid to take the regular drugs for this because of so many risk's for heart problems. Sometimes my hands are so swollen and in terrible pain. They are also more deformed every year. I am only 51 years old and do not want to become disabled early in life. Also is there others in this situation that could benefit from this suggestion?
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I also work with the elderly population and can see the pain they suffer even with pain meds.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- It will help many decide and learn more about the 2 diseases
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program