Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: July 05, 2011
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For patients who do not have a spleen, what are some of the ways they can help prevent infections.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- All ages
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Aspenic due to trauma verses disease.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Prevention of infections and increasing life span.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- Aspenic patients have been told they have ashorten life span due to infections.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Minority groups
- Individuals with special health care needs, including individuals with disabilities or who need chronic care or end-of-life health care
- Federal Health Care Program
- State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Have been asplenic due to auto accident 35 years ago.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- Limited amount of health informaion for patients without spleens
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program