Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: September 09, 2011
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- What is the effectiveness of the use of pharmacological interventions (FDA approved) in treating alcohol-use disorders in primary care settings?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- Behavioral intervention only vs. behavioral intervention plus pharmacological intervention
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- All patients 18 and older with alcohol-use disorders encountered in primary care settings, no restriction by gender/race
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- - Reduction in heavy drinking days
- Reduction in drinking days
- Reduction in abnormal LFTs
- Improved mental and physical health
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- AEs specifics to each medications used in potential trial. All those meds, however, have been approved by FDA.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Substance abuse
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Alcohol is third risk factor of disease in the US and yet preventable.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- Limited research devoted to that specific population
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Provide guidelines for pcp
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- Sooner the better
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Disparities usually seen among patients who can not afford specialized care
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program