Topic Suggestion Description
Date submitted: April 20, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Any procedure, surgery, medicine that would eliminate or greatly reduce the pain is requested.
I have suffered from severe ear aches, ears popping (people can hear them), pressure, and draining. These symptoms are nearly constant. In the past I went to ENTs, chiropractor, and had acupunture done. None worked. A few years ago went to the Mayo clinic and they put a name to it, palatal myoclonus. However, I was told there is no cure and only a 20% chance medicine could reduce some of the pain. Sleep is very difficult, and happends for 4 to 5 hourse a night only if a muscle relaxer and a sleeping pill are taken.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- Anybody that suffers from these spasams.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- I'm not the only person who suffers from this. It would be beneficial for all people who suffer from these symptoms to have a resolution.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- To live painfree from the constant discomfort and pain in my ears.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- I don't think so. A suggestion of meds was suggested but not hopeful, as only 20% chance it may help with some of the symptoms.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- I could live my life without nearly constant pain and or discomfort. To live without pain and be able to sleep at night for 7 to 8 hours without meds would be wonderful.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- I've already waited five years and the only progress made was that there is a name for the physical problems I've been experiencing. Unfortunately, there is not cure. So any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Good Housekeeping magazine