Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: April 22, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- What is a possible cause of hand and/or feet numbness? Is it an extension of an inflammatory disorder? If so, what can a person do to reverse this condition?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- This appears to be more prevalent in individuals over the age of 50.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Improvements in patient symptoms.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- That hands would not recover from numbness and eventually be non-functioning.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- I suffer from this condition personally, and I've not been able to find assistance via my medical contacts. I'm discovering that mine is not an isolated case - others have similar conditions.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I'm simply a peon who would like the broader medical field to be aware of this condition. If enough of us speak up about it, perhaps some research could be devised which would provide an answer and/or solution.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Answers would give me direction to remedy this condition for me personally.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- I have no timeframe.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Good Housekeeping magazine