Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: May 01, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For an adult who has a constant cough re: anything he eats or drinks, had surgery where they opened up the tube that does to the stomach because where the stomach and esophygus meet there are spasms that cause acid...He takes antacid and uses a puffer for hard time breathing..Is there any other therapy or help for this?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- any person that has problems eating and swallowing and a constant cough from these
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- any patient especially older men
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- improvements in symptoms or curing the constant cough with anything he eats or drinks....
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- the constant cough makes it harder to breath and seems to create alot of mucus. Can this constant cough cause more severe problems
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Am very concerned that the surgery with opening up the tubes did not help except for the swallowing is better but the cough has gotten worse and continues no matter what he eats or drinks...want to know if this could create more severe problems down the road.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- It will help explain what is going on and give us answers to help make him better so as not to cause more harm to the body.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- as soon as it can possibly be determined if at all.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- article in paper