Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: May 21, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Seasonal allergy medication. I was taking a 24 hour and then tried a 12 hour decongestant for years but now it doesn't work. What can I now take that does not require a prescription? That works.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- Since the 24 and 12 hour decongestants do not work for me anymore I am taking sudafed tablets two red ones a day and sunmarks' allergy antihistamine one tablet a day. I was using a nettie pot but now it bothers my nose. I have found that if I can exercise that helps. Especially if I can run on the tread mill. If seem the next day I have more energy?
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- Anyone with seasonal allergies.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Anyone with seasonal allergies.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- What can I take to stop the ear aches, the tired feeling ( I can't workout no energy), the watery eyes and the weight gain?
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- The damage to my ears. For me that is where it settles and the weight gain. It can make me dizzy.
Loosing my energy. I am a baby boomer and very serious about eating well and working out. I am lucky to have very good health except for this and arthritis in my hands (which is not a problem for me). I know for a women my age I am an exception, most women do not work out as long and hard as I do and eat as many vegtables, fruits, and legumes as I eat.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Pulmonary disease/asthma
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- My allergies interrupt my life and I gain weight. I also have learned that this is a common problem with decongestants. What do you take? What will work.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I am not alone other people have this problem too.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- This will help me and other allergy sufferes who have this same problem.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- As soon as you can help me and others.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- People who can not afford to go to an allergist for a prescription drug.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Good Housekeeping Magazine