Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: June 23, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For patients with irregular shaped calcium deposits in the breast what is the value and findings in needle biopsies for this condition???
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- It applies to elderly women who have had multiple pregnancies..with several calciums that are irregularly shaped, is this a definitive sympton of a malignancy??
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- asymptomatic females with no findings of cyst in mammogram.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Having knowledge of statistics of the above questions, have not been addressed in your statements on needle biopsies..
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- I have been researching the incidence of irregular calcium deposits and have found no stats or literature reguarding the needle biopsy and the above abnormal calcium deposits on mammogram which was found on my routine mammo...a needle biopsy is to be done within a week and I am anxious to know how important my problem is..coincidently I am asymptomatic and no cysts detected on mammo..
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- Just trying to educate myself on the results of my mammo.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Since my needle biopsy is next week, I think some writings on my proposal would help educate others with the same questions.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- None in particular but it would greatly help educate women in the same situation as I am in..I find no connections of abnormal calcium deposits and malignancy ratios.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- google search