Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: July 13, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- 1. Urinary tract infections in long term care patients/residents without indwelling catheters.
2. Guidelines for prevention....and unessary hospitalizations.
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- No elderly population with multiple co- morbidity, example diabetes, HTN, ESRD,early onset dementia.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Lower UTI rates decreased use of antibiotics.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- Increased incidences of UTI post initial episode, sepsis cystitis, polynephritis.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- Dementia, including Alzheimer's disease
- Depression and other mental health disorders
- Diabetes mellitus
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- This topic is important because we send many of our patients to the hospital. fro treatment, that we may have been able to provide if detected earlier.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I work as an infection control nurse and have developed my own UTI prevention program that worked initially, however wit cut back that have affected staffing it has been challenging to keep our uti numbers at minimum.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- It can be used as a tool for educating our line staff as well as our RN about preventing UTIs.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- No specific time, 2weeks would be nice
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- general elderly population.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- AHRQ search