Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: October 20, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- For patients with ulcerative colitis why do MD's not recommend Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners. I was cured with diet change, herbal prescriptions and acupuncture!!
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- Sulfasalazine,Cortenema(Hydrocortisone,Prednisone, immunosuppressive therapy, surgery versus Traditional Chinese Medicine (food combinations, herbal prescriptions, acupuncture).
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- all ages, male and female, IBD diagnosis
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- People with severe IBD would be more likely to try alternative medicine, I think, esp. with no insurance coverage for alternative medicine.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Improvements in symptoms and no longer need to take toxic drugs.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- I would suggest anyone stay in touch with a traditional gastroenterologist. I have heard about tainted Chinese herbs and would want to be followed to be sure I was not doing damage to liver, etc.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Traditional medicine only has surgery for a "cure." Otherwise, only symptoms are treated with inconsistent results and with side effects.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I was cured, and I don't see this discussed in general media. Excellent TCM cured me of IBD after I had seen Western medical doctors for years. An MD who practices acupuncture recommended Neil to me because he said I needed herbal medicine also. I had never been to an acupuncturist, much less a Traditional Chinese Medicine Doctor. I really didn't want to "take herbs." Neil used a variety of methods to treat me; the herbs were ordered esp. for what I needed and they were not awful to take! Not only am I cured of IBD (since 1997), but I no longer take allergy shots. I continue to go to my Western medical doctors for annual check ups.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Just that - it will help inform decisions.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- No special timeframe. I am cured.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Alternative medicine has to be paid for out of pocket. No insurance coverage for Chinese Medicine Practioner's fees.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- in a magazine article about GERD