Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: November 19, 2012
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- With the utilization of a revolutionary side-turning hospital bed, 4flex Care Bed™, in which ways could myriads of patients, caregivers and nurses alike, and also the United States Government benefit?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- We would like to have the costs associated with Medicare and/or Medicaid evaluated, in terms of placing and continuing care for a patient at a hospital and/or nursing home. Following this, we would like to have that price compared to the cost of placing a patient in their own home for home care with the use of our 4flex Care Bed™.
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- The 4flex Care Bed™ has been tested over a long period of time on a patient suffering from Parkinson's disease, however that does not mean our product is limited to that specific disease. Our product is not intended for a specific age range or gender, but rather is for anyone who cannot live their daily lives by themselves, whether it be temporary or long-term. All ages and genders apply.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- The 4flex Care Bed™ applies to any and all stages of disabilities that require temporary to long-term medical care, regardless of ethnic background.
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- One of the primary goals we have for the 4flex Care Bed™ is to help give easier and more efficient care to those that are disabled and/or in need of long-term medical care. We believe that through the use of the 4flex Care Bed™, both the patient and their loved ones will be happier, which in turn will be more positive for the patient's mental health. Caregivers and nurses will also benefit from the use of the 4flex Care Bed™. One of the greatest problems that an immobile patient is faced with is when they remain lying in the same position for an extended period of time, ultimately leading to bedsores on the patient's back. In order to help prevent this from happening, the patient must be moved once every 2-3 hours. Two caregivers must often perform this task, and yet it still presents a risk of back injury. The 4flex Care Bed™ prevents the the risk of back injury, while enabling one caregiver to safely and efficiently perform this task. Furthermore, the Government will also largely benefit through this because there will be significantly lower costs associated with home care as oppose to hospitals and nursing homes.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Arthritis and nontraumatic joint disorders
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- Dementia, including Alzheimer's disease
- Depression and other mental health disorders
- Functional limitations and disability
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Low income groups
- Minority groups
- Individuals with special health care needs, including individuals with disabilities or who need chronic care or end-of-life health care
- Federal Health Care Program
- Describe why this topic is important.
- It is our understanding that in order to place and care for a disabled and/or long-term patient at a hospital and/or nursing home, it costs a significantly large amount of money from Medicare or Medicaid; certain patients being eligible for both. Ultimately, a large fraction of the cost is being funded from the Government. This being said, we would like to suggest the use of our 4flex Care Bed™ so that it would be easier for families and friends to take care of the patient in the comfort of the patient's home. This would be beneficial for the patient because they will be happier in their own home with their loved ones, and at the same time be beneficial for the Government because the cost would be significantly lower. This would be especially cost effective for certain individuals that are from low income families. If the Government were to approve the use of our 4flex Care Bed™ for long-term home care as an alternative to nursing home placement, it would not only save money for the Government but also it would be better for the patient's morale and spirit to be surrounded by the unparalleled emotional support of their family. Even when used in hospitals and/or nursing homes, the 4flex Care Bed™ would be the ideal asset for maximum effectiveness and efficiency of caregivers and nurses. To visually demonstrate the effectiveness of the 4flex Care Bed™, please visit www.4flexbed.com
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- We ask this question because we would like to see all parties involved to benefit. The overall relationship of patients and their families; the Government with its current economic status; and caregivers and nurses with their jobs.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- With the Government's approval of the 4flex Care Bed™ as an alternative to nursing home care, we would be able to effectively market our product to low-income families and others that are in dire need.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- We would like to kindly ask that this matter be considered with the utmost priority, as it is our utmost priority to see all parties involved benefit from the use of our 4flex Care Bed™.
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Health Benefits Plan/Insurance Carrier
- Health Care Industry (Device, Drug, or Other Manufacturer)
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Organization - Flex Bed, Inc.
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program