Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: May 29, 2013
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Is Community based medicine effective in increasing health care quality and decreasing cost?
- Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches? (If no, your topic will still be considered.)
- If yes, explain the specific technologies, devices, drugs, or interventions you would like to see compared:
- Making fun group health retreats part of insurance coverage as opposed keeping care fragmented as it is today? If focus truely on prevention and one on one coaching then wouldn't it make sense to take time off learn how to really take care of yourself when your healthy and in turn create a healthier family through education.
- What patients or group(s) of patients does your question apply to? (Please include specific details such as age range, gender, coexisting diagnoses, and indications for therapy.)
- People interested in making lifestyle changes or improving their health.
- Are there subgroups of patients that your question might apply to? (For example, an ethnic group, stage or severity of a disease.)
- Describe the health-related benefits you are interested in. (For example, improvements in patient symptoms or problems from treatment or diagnosis.)
- Improvement in patient satisfaction and improvement in patients overall health status.
- Describe any health-related risks, side effects, or harms that you are concerned about.
- Many people are over medicated and often times dependent on expensive medications. Traditional Chinese Medicine or Acupuncture can offer a less expensive and less drug intensive treatment that can empower people to care for themselves properly through the proper diet, exercise, mental, and spiritual intervention necessary for that specific person.
Appropriateness for EHC Program
- Does your question include a health care drug, intervention, device, or technology available (or likely to be available) in the U.S.?
- Which priority area(s) and population(s) does this topic apply to? (check all that apply)
- EHC Priority Conditions (updated in 2008)
- Arthritis and nontraumatic joint disorders
- Cardiovascular disease, including stroke and hypertension
- Functional limitations and disability
- Infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS
- Pulmonary disease/asthma
- AHRQ Priority Populations
- Low income groups
- Minority groups
- Individuals with special health care needs, including individuals with disabilities or who need chronic care or end-of-life health care
- Federal Health Care Program
- State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Most people would like to live a fulfilling life. In order to do this you must have the physical, mental, and spiritual cultivation necessary to achieve this. Insurance covered Health Retreats can do this because we would catch problems before they become problems and create a healthier culture.
- What specifically motivated you to ask this question? (For example, you are developing a clinical guideline, working with a policy with large uncertainty about the appropriate approach, costly intervention, new research you have read, items in the media you may have seen, a clinical practice dilemma you know of, etc.)
- I am a physical therapist that is studying acupuncture and can honestly say that taking care of people and keeping them healthy and safe is challenging but can be achieved through the proper education of people. People should have the opportunity to attend a 5-7 day retreat in how to care for themselves. Just imagine focusing on how to best care for yourself in areas such as sleeping, diet, cooking, exercise, relaxation/stress reduction, relationships. I believe this would reduce our healthcare cost dramatically and it would help to create a community focused medicine which would bring people together and increase productivity as society tremendously.
- Does your question represent uncertainty for clinicians and/or policy-makers? (For example, variations in clinical care, controversy in what constitutes appropriate clinical care, or a policy decision.)
- If yes, please explain:
- I have been interested in analyzing the best health care practices that are affortable for many years and it important that we create environment in medicine that focuses on taking care of the whole person which encompasses your mind, body, and spirit. In order for health care professionals to do this we must be properly trained to identify when there is deficiency in either and
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- You would take a group of people that are currently receiving health care the traditional way and compare them to people that have engaged in a 5 day health retreat? Compare benefit and satisfaction level. It is my belief that people will get greater benefit from this total immersion program, therefore making better choices in the future which benefits everyone in our community.
- Describe the timeframe in which an answer to your question is needed.
- 1-3 months
- Describe any health disparities, inequities, or impact on vulnerable populations your question applies to.
- People that are not able to leave work for 5 days.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Other Health Care Professional
- Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program
- Following the evolution of the Affordable Health Care Act through T.V, radio, and internet.