Topic Suggestion Description
Date submitted: June 20, 2013
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Does creatine monohydrate affect joint range of movement?
- Describe why this topic is important.
- A lot of people supplement with creatine. It is also found in meat. If it affected joint range of motion, it could potentially hinder athletic performance.
So far, a singular study found a decrease in range of motion. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20725117
However, the study only covered the shoulder, elbow, hip, and ankle. A longer term study may have been more useful, also. The study mentions that reduction may have been caused by water retention. Studies have shown that the water retention, caused by creatine, disissipates after 6-12 weeks. So, it may be a good idea to do a 6-12 week study.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- The results will establish whether creatine hinders athletic performance, through a reduction in joint range of movement.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- Creatine Consumer
- If you are you making a suggestion on behalf of an organization, please state the name of the organization
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program