Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: July 28, 2013
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Does short term PPI use cause food/drug allergies or intolerance?
- Describe why this topic is important.
- Researchers have speculated that Proton Pump Inhibtors and Gastric acid suppressors may cause allergies, via sensitization against oral proteins and drugs. However, no human study has been performed. It would be a good starter study to look at 1-2 month PPI usage, which is a standard prescription.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- It could help evaluate how long you can safely use PPI's, without developing a lifelong food allergy.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- If you are you making a suggestion on behalf of an organization, please state the name of the organization
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program