Topic Suggestion Description
View Topic Suggestion Disposition
Date submitted: October 31, 2013
- Briefly describe a specific question, or set of related questions, about a health care test or treatment that this program should consider.
- Treatment of Clostridium difficile infection with fecal transplant therapy in light of the many publications on the topic since the most recent report on C diff was published. This is the most famous recent paper: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1205037
Article in the news today... There are many like this.
There are many others.
- Describe why this topic is important.
- People are dying or having their colons surgically removed due to C difficile infections. This is unnecessary because there is an treatment that is underutilized and AHRQ could make this clear in a summary report that would be respected because it came from AHRQ. Much has been published on this topic in the last 2 years and the current AHRQ report is obsolete as far as this aspect of C diff treatment is concerned.
- How will an answer to your research question be used or help inform decisions for you or your group?
- Physicians will be encouraged to use this treatment and therefore save people from dying or from experiencing colectomies.
- Other Information About You: (optional)
- Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
- AHRQ staff and patient/consumer (I had a colectomy for another illness in 1999)
- If you are you making a suggestion on behalf of an organization, please state the name of the organization
- Please tell us how you heard about the Effective Health Care Program