Topic Suggestion Description
Date submitted: May 21, 2008
- 1. Your Nomination - Please briefly describe in your own words the question about a health care test or treatment that interests or concerns you:
Study drug reps going to doctor's offices to deliver drug samples in comparison to samples being shipped to the doctor's office without a rep involved with this. Doctors just need to sign a form with thier state lisence number in order to get samples.
I'm a pharma rep and just left a job where I was a top rep in the nation, and never called on a doctor's office for a whole year, as the samples I had could be ordered on line, so I just simply mailed this form to many doctor's offices, and it worked. The drug was extendryl, and have done this with allerx as well. Hypothesis being that drug reps are entirely unnecessary.
- 2. Why do you think your question is important? (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
My question relates to a very common disease or problem
People with this disease or problem have considerable health or financial hardships
There is uncertainty about how well the test, treatment, or intervention works
There is significant potential for side effects/harms using this test, treatment, or intervention
Funding of this test, treatment, or intervention is uncertain or variable
There is unequal access or application of this health care intervention across providers
There is potential for cost savings from better information on this subject
This is a new technology/development
There is new evidence of clinical and/or cost effectiveness for this test, treatment, or intervention
- 3. What illness or health condition is related to your question? (You can also specify a particular health-promoting activity, such as breast-feeding)
- 4. What group(s) or patients does your question apply to?
- drug reps and thier lack of necessity
- 5. What is the specific purpose of the health care test or treatment you have a question about? (mark all that you think apply)
Identification of a disease or condition:
Screening or diagnosis/identification for a particular disease, or risk assessment for a disease
Risks or harms that can come from a disease identification tool or test
Diagnostic tests and tools
Diagnosis of co-occurring diseases
Intervention (such as a drug treatment, therapy, device)
Management of a condition or particular system of care
Delivery of a health service
Risks or harms associated with treatment of a disease or condition
Prevention or health promotion
Specific population health concerns, such as ethnic group or gender
- 6. Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches?
If yes, please list what you would like to see compared:
Samples arriving at doctors' offices with a rep and having these samples mailed to such offices.
- 7. Desired Health Improvements: If you question focuses on:
Identification of a particular disease or condition, what improvements in identification or diagnosis would you like to see?
Treatment of a particular disease or condition, what improvements in patient symptoms or problems would you like to see?
Greater resources for the health care system.
- 8. Harms: Are there risks, side effects, or harms you are concerned about? If yes, please specify what those are:
No harm can occur.
- 9. Based on your answers to the previous questions, what research question(s) would you like to have answered?
Are drug reps necessary?
- 10. Are there health-care focused, disease-focused, or patient-focused organizations that you see as being relevant to this issue? Who do you think we should contact as we consider your nomination?
Various sites authored by pharmaceutical industry critics.
11. Other Information About You (OPTIONAL)
In order to help us understand the context of your health care question, it would be helpful to know more about you. The answers you give will not influence the progress of your suggestion. Thank you.
a. Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
Health Care industry (drug)
b. Is there any other information about you that is relevant to your question?
I'm an ex big pharma rep that worked for 3 large companies for 10 yrs
c. Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?