This brochure, "AHRQ's EPC Program: Supporting Better Healthcare for 25 Years," shares information about AHRQ's Evidence-based Practice Center (EPC) Program and links to primary care-related evidence reviews.
AHRQ's Evidence-based Practice Center (EPC) Program has established a unique role in ongoing efforts to improve healthcare quality in America. The EPCs, housed at universities, medical centers, and research institutions, synthesize scientific evidence and produce comprehensive reports to—
- Inform improvements in clinical practice
- Guide healthcare policymaking
- Identify future research needs
Since 1996, the EPC program has produced more than 800 reports that reviewed and evaluated the evidence on topics ranging from treatments for heart disease to cancer to mental health conditions. Report findings have been instrumental in the development of clinical practice guidelines, coverage decisions, research agendas, quality measures, and educational materials.
In March 2022, AHRQ summarized primary care research gaps identified in evidence reviews from the last 3 years. This summary is intended to inform research funders, researchers, and policymakers about the types of questions that need to be addressed and the types of studies necessary to address these questions.
In addition to this report, AHRQ has a robust portfolio of other primary care–relevant reports on a variety of clinical and health delivery topics, such as—
- Strategies for Patient, Family, and Caregiver Engagement (Aug 2020)
- Management of High-Need, High-Cost Patients (Oct 2021)
- Pharmacotherapy for Adults With Alcohol-Use Disorders in Outpatient Settings (research protocol April 2022) Draft report coming winter 2022
- Transitions of Care From Pediatric to Adult Services For Children With Special Healthcare Needs (May 2022)
- Schedule of Visits and Televisits for Routine Antenatal Care (June 2022)
- Strategies for Integrating Behavioral Health and Primary Care (research protocol Sept 2022) Draft report coming spring 2023
Visit the Effective Health Care Program website at https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov.
Sign up for our listserv to get updates about our work at: https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/email-updates.
Share your ideas for a new evidence review at: https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/get-involved/suggest-topic.