Health systems want access to the best evidence to provide high-quality care to patients. However, they have limited time and resources to identify and incorporate evidence into practice. Therefore, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Evidence-based Practice Center (EPC) program has been increasingly interested in advancing the use of EPC systematic reviews by health systems. To support this, the EPCs conducted pilot projects where they engaged with health systems to develop and evaluate a dissemination product based on an existing EPC report.
Nine pilot projects were conducted. EPCs identified healthcare decision makers and worked with them to identify their information needs. Projects piloted a range of methods and tools to facilitate the dissemination or implementation of information from evidence syntheses including: informational videos, cyberseminars, decision aids, clinical pathways, evidence-to-decision frameworks, and interactive tools to explore the underlying evidence. A summary report provides an overview of findings and results of the evaluation. A selection of these reports have also been published in The Joint Commission Journal along with a commentary summarizing feedback from the Learning Health System panel.
- Disseminating Findings From EPC Reports: Pilot Project of Three Products
- Development and Usability Testing of EPC Evidence Review Dissemination Summaries for Health Systems Decisionmakers
- Linking Evidence Reviews to Organizational Guideline Planning
- Assessing the Impact of Indexing Performance Measure Codes on the Perceived Value of EPC Reports to Health-Systems
- Improving Access to and Usability of Systematic Review Data for Health Systems Guidelines Development
- Web Interactive Presentation of EPC Reports and Mapping to Quality Measures
- Anxiety in Children—A Dual Approach to facilitate health systems uptake of evidence synthesis reports
- Development of a Primary Care Guide for Implementing Evidence-based Screening and Counseling for Unhealthy Alcohol Use With Epic-based Electronic Health Record Tools
- Use of a Clinical Pathway to Facilitate the Translation and Utilization of AHRQ EPC Report Findings
The EPC Program continues to build on these pilot projects with further development of ways to present information in optimal format for Learning Health Systems.