The AHRQ Evidence-based Practice Center (EPC) program is committed to partnering with organizations to make sure its evidence reports can be used in practice.
As part of AHRQ's commitment to accelerating the spread of evidence-based best practices across learning health systems, the EPC Program wants to help learning health systems use the evidence from its evidence reports to improve patient care. This webpage showcases projects by the EPC program to help make evidence reports more useful for health systems.
Learning Health Systems Panel
In 2018, the AHRQ EPC Program started a project to enhance learning health systems' adoption of evidence to improve the quality and effectiveness of patient care. To do this, it is convening a learning health systems panel to guide the development of products and tools that will help health systems use findings from EPC evidence reviews. The learning health systems panel is generating ideas, providing feedback, and making improvements to products and tools. In 2020-21, learning health systems represented in the panel will implement and evaluate materials. Get more details about the Learning Health Systems Panel.
The reports listed in this section aim to help advance the methods used by the EPCs in conducting and disseminating systematic reviews that can be useful to health systems.
- 2017 Health System Exploratory Pilot Projects
- 2018 EPC and Health Systems Partnership Pilot Projects
- Disseminating Findings From EPC Reports: Pilot Project of Three Products
- Development and Usability Testing of EPC Evidence Review Dissemination Summaries for Health Systems Decisionmakers
- Linking Evidence Reviews to Organizational Guideline Planning
- Assessing the Impact of Indexing Performance Measure Codes on the Perceived Value of EPC Reports to Health-Systems
- Improving Access to and Usability of Systematic Review Data for Health Systems Guidelines Development
- Web Interactive Presentation of EPC Reports: A Foray Into Interactive Reports
- Anxiety in Children—A Dual Approach To Facilitate Health Systems Uptake of Evidence Synthesis Reports
- Development of a Primary Care Guide for Implementing Evidence-based Screening and Counseling for Unhealthy Alcohol Use With Epic-based Electronic Health Record Tools
- Use of a Clinical Pathway to Facilitate the Translation and Utilization of AHRQ EPC Report Findings
- 2019 EPC and Health Systems Partnership Pilot Projects
- Analyzing the Evidence Base and Value of Contemporary Cardiovascular Care: Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy
- Facilitating the Implementation of EPC Reports in Learning Health Systems Engaged in Quality Initiatives: an EPC Pilot Project on ADHD
- Translation of a C. difficile Treatment Clinical Pathway Into Machine-Readable Clinical Decision Support Artifacts Prototyped for Electronic Health Record Integration
- Integrating Health System Data With Systematic Reviews: A Framework for When and How Unpublished Health System Data Can Be Used With Systematic Reviews To Support Health System Decision Making
Borsky AE, Flores EJ, Berliner E, Chang C, Umscheid CA, Chang SM. AHRQ Evidence-based Practice Center Program: Applying the Knowledge to Practice to Data Cycle to Strengthen the Value of Patient Care. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2019. https://doi.org/10.12788/jhm.3157
Guise JM, Savitz LA, Friedman CP. Mind the Gap: Putting Evidence into Practice in the Era of Learning Health Systems. J Gen Intern Med. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-018-4633-1
This series highlighted the EPCs pilot translational products to improve the ability of health systems to access and understand information from the EPC evidence reviews.
- Fiordalisi C, Borsky A, Chang S, Guise JM. AHRQ EPC Series on Improving Translation of Evidence into Practice for the Learning Health System: Introduction. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019;45(8):558-565.
- Flores EJ, Jue JJ, Giradi G, Schoelles K, Mull NK, Umscheid CA. AHRQ EPC Series on Improving Translation of Evidence: Use of a Clinical Pathway for C. Difficile Treatment to Facilitate the Translation of Research Findings into Practice. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019;45(12):822-828.
- Adam GP, Balk EM, Jap J, et al. AHRQ EPC Series on Improving Translation of Evidence: Web-Based Interactive Presentation of Systematic Review Reports. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019;45(9):629-638.
- White CM, Coleman CI, Jackman K, Roman YM. AHRQ Series on Improving Translation of Evidence: Linking Evidence Reports and Performance Measures to Help Learning Health Systems Use New Information for Improvement. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019;45(10):706-710.
- Barclay C, Viswanathan M, Ratner S, et al. Implementing evidence-based screening and counseling for unhealthy alcohol use with Epic-based electronic health record tools. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019 Aug;45(8):566-74.
- Borsky AE, Savitz LA, Bindman AB, Mossburg S, Thompson L. AHRQ Series on Improving Translation of Evidence: Perceived Value of Translational Products by the AHRQ EPC Learning Health Systems Panel. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019;45(11):772-778.
- Guise JM, Reid E, Fiordalisi CV, Borsky A, Chang S. AHRQ Series on Improving Translation of Evidence: Progress and Promise in Supporting Learning Health Systems. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2020;46(1):51-52.