1. What is the decision or change (e.g. clinical topic, practice guideline, system design, delivery of care) you are facing or struggling with where a summary of the evidence would be helpful?
Climate and Health: The Impact of fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters on air quality and upper respiratory disease. This is a relatively new frontier that relates to the health of the individual as well as the health of the planet and has long-term implications for millennials and Gen z populations as they learn to live in a climate that is already at unhealthy levels. Studies are few and solutions at the individual patient level are few. There are many things that we can do right now to work on resolving this issue before it gets way out of hand.
2. Why are you struggling with this issue?
I am a healthcare journalist and for a book I am writing I have done extensive research on climate and health. It is shocking how little the general public and the healthcare provider populations understands the real issues around climate and health and a study such as this might provide a pathway for determining best practices among the provider community, that would enhance the patient experience.
3. What do you want to see changed? How will you know that your issue is improving or has been addressed?
My goals with this project is to change the level of understanding that we have regarding climate and population health and present a compendium of realistic solutions that are possible.
4. When do you need the evidence report?
5. What will you do with the evidence report?
I believe that a evidence such as this will raise awareness among clinicians to factor in climate when evaluating disease that shows up in patients and determine what can be done about this.
Optional Information About You
What is your role or perspective? Healthcare journalist
May we contact you if we have questions about your nomination? Yes