1. What is the decision or change you are facing or struggling with where a summary of the evidence would be helpful?
Bipolar disorder diagnostic criteria are largely informed by adult research but are also applied to children. The nominator is interested in the development of guidelines for diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children that are informed by research in children.
2. Why are you struggling with this issue?
The nominator is concerned about high rates of diagnosis of bipolar disorder in children, which can lead to the over prescription of pharmaceutical treatments such as lithium, which has potential side effects.
3. What do you want to see changed? How will you know that your issue is improving or has been addressed?
The nominator would like to see the development of evidence-based guidance for making differential diagnoses of bipolar disorder in children specifically.
4. When do you need the evidence report?
No limitations on report development timeline.
5. What will you do with the evidence report?
The nominator indicated that they would either be willing to adapt guidelines that a guideline group would develop with an evidence product or would use an evidence product to create care process models for diagnosis within their system.
(Optional) About You
What is your role or perspective? Clinician
If you are you making a suggestion on behalf of an organization, please state the name of the organization: Intermountain Health
May we contact you if we have questions about your nomination? Yes