Topic Suggestion Description
Date submitted: March 21, 2008
- 1. Your Nomination - Please briefly describe in your own words the question about a health care test or treatment that interests or concerns you:
Should subclinical hypothroidism be treated?
- 2. Why do you think your question is important? (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
My question relates to a very common disease or problem
People with this disease or problem have considerable health or financial hardships
There is uncertainty about how well the test, treatment, or intervention works
There is significant potential for side effects/harms using this test, treatment, or intervention
Funding of this test, treatment, or intervention is uncertain or variable
There is unequal access or application of this health care intervention across providers
There is potential for cost savings from better information on this subject
This is a new technology/development
There is new evidence of clinical and/or cost effectiveness for this test, treatment, or intervention
- 3. What illness or health condition is related to your question? (You can also specify a particular health-promoting activity, such as breast-feeding)
- Sublinical hypothroidism in adults, as defined by an elevated TSH with a normal free throxine level.
- 4. What group(s) or patients does your question apply to?
- non pregnanct adults
- 5. What is the specific purpose of the health care test or treatment you have a question about? (mark all that you think apply)
Identification of a disease or condition:
Screening or diagnosis/identification for a particular disease, or risk assessment for a disease
Risks or harms that can come from a disease identification tool or test
Diagnostic tests and tools
Diagnosis of co-occurring diseases
Intervention (such as a drug treatment, therapy, device)
Management of a condition or particular system of care
Delivery of a health service
Risks or harms associated with treatment of a disease or condition
Prevention or health promotion
Specific population health concerns, such as ethnic group or gender
- 6. Does your question include a comparison of different health care approaches?
If yes, please list what you would like to see compared:
Watchful waiting vs treatment.
- 7. Desired Health Improvements: If you question focuses on:
Identification of a particular disease or condition, what improvements in identification or diagnosis would you like to see?
Treatment of a particular disease or condition, what improvements in patient symptoms or problems would you like to see?
If a patient is asymptomatic, is there benefit from a patient perspective from treatment?
- 8. Harms: Are there risks, side effects, or harms you are concerned about? If yes, please specify what those are:
There are potential harms from treatment and potential harms from non treatment.
- 9. Based on your answers to the previous questions, what research question(s) would you like to have answered?
What are the benefits and harms of treating patients with subclinical hypothroidism vs watchfull waiting?
- 10. Are there health-care focused, disease-focused, or patient-focused organizations that you see as being relevant to this issue? Who do you think we should contact as we consider your nomination?
11. Other Information About You (OPTIONAL)
In order to help us understand the context of your health care question, it would be helpful to know more about you. The answers you give will not influence the progress of your suggestion. Thank you.
a. Please choose a description that best describes your role or perspective: (you may select more than one category if appropriate)
b. Is there any other information about you that is relevant to your question?
c. Are you making a suggestion as an individual or on behalf of an organization?